Erythrai – A Harbor City In Ancient Aegean
Doc. Dr. Ayse Gül AkalinDer Fachbereich Baugeschichte::Bauforschung der Technischen Universität Wien und das IVA Institut für Vergleichende Architekturforschung laden Sie im Zuge der Vortragsreihe ZEITRÄUME herzlich zu folgenden Veranstaltungen ein:
Zeit: 22.01.2015, 19:00 Uhr
Ort: Technische Universität Wien; Hörsaal 7 – Schütte-Lihotzky Hörsaal, Stiege VII, Erdgeschoß; Karlsplatz 13, 1040 Wien
The ancient city of Erythrai is located 70 km west of Izmir in Western Anatolia, on the peninsula of Karaburun, called Mimas in ancient times. In the Classical period, there were three major harbor settlements on the peninsula; Klazomenai, Teos and Erythrai. Although actual borders among them changed constantly, each had a large hinterland with several small settlements. The recent archeological excavation is working on the administrative center of this large territorium.
Settlement history in Erythrai goes back to 3.000 B.C. and continuous until today without interruption. As a Phoenician colony, Erythrai prospered by maritime trade in the second colonization period and played a significant role in the economic and social history of Ionia with its multi-ethnic/cultural population.
The first excavations in Erythrai began in 1965 under the direction of Ord. Prof. Dr. Ekrem Akurgal, but ended after 18 years, which have not been enough to sufficiently research this important ancient city. In 2003, a team of archeologists from the Ankara University started again with surveys in the region, and in 2007 excavations began in the city center. This lecture introduces findings and results of the second generation of excavations in Erythrai.
Doc. Dr. Ayse Gül Akalin is archaeologist at the Ankara University and is leading the recent excavations in Erythrai.